Kenyans triumphant in Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K

A

Adnaan Mohamed

CAPE TOWN 10K

Kenya’s Victor Kipruto and Veronica Loleo took line honours in the 2023 Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K in the men’s and women’s races respectively on Sunday 14 May 2023.

It was a hard-fought win for both, particularly in the men’s race with the South Africans showing the Kenyan a little respect.

Victor Kipruto

Windy and blustery conditions for the first time since the race’s inception in 2015, saw the race become a tactical war of attrition until the field hit the bottom side of the City. With shelter from the wind, the pace picked up tremendously.

Halfway was passed in 14:43 with a big bunch of around 20 athletes all bunched together to seek shelter from the wind, this in spite of the efforts of Kipruto throwing in surges to test the waters.

That leading pack consisted of the likes of newly crowned SA 10k Record Holder, Precious Mashele, SA 5000m Record Holder, Elroy Gelant, Thabang Mosiako and MbuleliMathanga amongst others. A projected finishing time of around 29 minuteswas on the cards.

But the field had other ideas and as they came into the lower Cape Town City area, there was a marked increase in the pace that saw the lead pack drop from first around 20 athletes to close to 10, before Kipruto, just before the 7km mark as the athletes turned into the City at lower Adderley Street, threw in another surge and dragged the inform Mosiako and Mashele with him.

Mosiako, who smashed his 10km PB at the Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K by a whopping 34 seconds to clock 27:52, took the lead around the 8km mark. But the Kenyan came back at him as Mashele was struggling to hold on. Mashele did close a gap that opened and as they came around the bend at the bottom of Adderley Street as it turned into Wale Street, the trio were all together again. The final kilometre descends to the bottom of Lower Long Street and Kipruto opened a gap over Mashele and Mosiako on the fast descent. Crossing the line in 28:28, Kipruto had run the second half in 13:45. Mashele finishing second (28:36) and Mosiako two seconds behind.

“My plan was to win the race. I came here to win,” said Kipruto. “We were a big bunch in the beginning because of the wind, and it is easier to run in a bunch when the wind blows, but once we had some shelter, I knew it was time to go.”

“I felt a bit cold towards the end and that stopped me from being able to sprint in the final kilometre,” said Mashele who broke the SA 10km Record at the Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K, taking three seconds off the previous record.

In the women’s race, Loleo who came into the race with a 30:53 PB and was the favourite along with Uganda’s Prisca Chesang (30:19), stuck like glue to the pacesetter, Gladwin Mzazi. Loleo ran virtually even splits as she went through 5km in 15:52 and closed the second half in 15:44.

Prisca Chesang

Prisca Chesang Pic: Mark Sampson

Behind her Prisca Chesang had to give way to the relentless pace after sticking with Loleo for the first 4k. Lesotho National 10km record holder, Neheng Khatala, who ran the record on this very course in 2022, moved into second and was only caught by Uganda’s Docus Ajok in the final kilometre. The duo had duel to the line with Ajok just edging Khatala, 32:09 to 32:13.

“I stuck to the pacesetter as he was doing exactly what we asked him to do,” said Loleo. “I’m really happy with my run in the wind.”

Prisca Chesang

Prisca Chesang

Absa’s Group Chief Marketing and Corporate Affairs Officer, Sydney Mbhele, said, “Congratulations to all the winners of the Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K and everyone who participated. I am incredibly proud to have participated in the race. It was an exciting experience to run alongside so many passionate individuals and be part of this amazing event.”

“The community spirit was truly inspiring. People of all fitness levels participated, and it was encouraging to see how much they care about their health and wellbeing. The race was a great reminder that with determination and teamwork, we can achieve great things. We trust that our Team Absa Walk Run community on Strava also had a wonderful experience at the race. Together we can do more, Siyabangena. Well done to every player!”

“Congratulations to Victor Kipruto and Veronica Loleo for their stellar performances today at the 8th annual Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K,” says Michael Meyer, Managing Director of Stillwater Sports and Founder of the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series. “Not even the Cape Doctor could get in the way of these world class athletes. A big thank you to each and every entrant, our sponsors and partners, for making it possible to host the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series in the magnificent Mother City. Today the event was back to its full-scale post the pandemic, and it felt amazing. From Monday onwards it’s full steam ahead as we shift our focus to Durban. We’ll be sharing some very exciting news this coming week. Watch this space.”

EVENT INFORMATION: 2023 Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series

Date:

Event:

1. Sunday 02 April 2023

Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K

Completed

2. Sunday 14 May 2023

Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K

Start Time: 08:00

Start Venue: Woodbridge Island, Milnerton

Finish Venue: Lower Long Street opposite Absa Building

Completed

3. Sunday 09 July 2023

Absa RUN YOUR CITY DURBAN 10K

4. Sunday 27 August 2023

Absa RUN YOUR CITY TSHWANE 10K

5. Sunday 24 September 2023

Absa RUN YOUR CITY JOBURG 10K

CHARITY SUPPORT: Celebrating its 8th anniversary in 2023, when entering the Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K runners (and walkers) could choose to support one or all five of the event’s charities: Cape of Good Hope SPCA, Cotlands, help2read, Die Burger Kinderfonds and Reach For A Dream.

WIN A CHERY TIGGO 4 PRO URBAN VEHICLE: Mogamat Adiel De Villiers was the lucky entrant that went home as the owner of a brand-new Chery Tiggo 4 Pro Urban Vehicle valued at over R289 000.00 compliments of the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series and event partners Chery South Africa and Absa Vehicle and Asset Finance. To be in the running to win this fantastic prize the following three boxes had to be ticked: runners needed to enter the event, collect their race number and be on the start line on event day.

PRIZE PURSE: The Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series boasts an impressive, combined Prize Purse of R 1 560 000.00 in 2023. Each of the five events(Gqeberha, Cape Town, Durban, Tshwane and Johannesburg) will be assigned R312 000.00 in prize money of which R252 000.00 will be allocated towards the Open Category (R126 000.00 going to Top 10 Open Men’s and R126 000.00 to Top 10 Open Women’s), and R60 000 towards Age Categories (Junior, 40 – 49, 50 – 59, 60 – 69 and 70+ Age Categories). To view the prize purse breakdown please visit https://runyourcityseries.com/

Facebook: @CapeTown10k

Instagram: @CapeTown10k

Hashtag: #RunYourCity #AbsaRunYourCity

Websites: www.runyourcityseries.com

The post Kenyans triumphant in Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K appeared first on Western Province Athletics.

Continue reading...

Back