ASA Road Running Chair sets his sights on Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series

A

Adnaan Mohamed

By Jacky McClean

ASA Road Running Chair, Enoch Skosana sets his sights on the 2023 Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series

A force to be reckoned with in the 1990s and early to mid-2000s, Enoch Skosana represented South Africa an impressive ten times. Now the ASA Road Running Chairman has set his sights on encouraging more people to participate in the sport of road running, by signing up for all five of the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series events in 2023.

Skosana got his campaign off to a great start with a 54:55 finish at the inaugural Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K that debuted in ‘The Friendly City’ on Sunday 02 April 2023.

“I loved running with the masses at the Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K,” says Skosana. “We ran as a group led by bus driver (aka pace setter), Ras Jabulani Dube, who set the perfect pace and persistently encouraged us through the race. Close to the finish line we took a small breather. Although many runners passed us, we managed to catch up with them, crossing the finish line ahead of them. I mention this occurrence to emphasize the importance of working together as a team. Being in a team was the best experience for me, it brought people from different walks of life together and motivated us to rely on one another to get to the finish.”

Skosana goes on to say that events like the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series are not only great opportunities to exercise, but they also provide many other benefits including improved health and emotional states to mention just a few.

“The Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series helps to identify elite athletes in the five cities,” continues Skosana.

“The Series gives athletes the opportunity to experience and be challenged by the different climates of the five cities, while allowing them to improve their performances. The 10km also builds speed, while granting elites the opportunity to earn some money. These athletes are also able to earn points that contribute to World Athletics and create opportunities for recognition. On the social runner side, the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series brings companionship to five iconic cities. It encourages teamwork which makes progress easier and allows groups of people to overcome obstacles. The 10km is an achievable distance for social runners and does not require immense preparation or time.”

Enoch-Skosana-by-Action-Photo-3.jpg

Enoch Skosana by Action Photo

In closing Skosana adds, “The message that I would like to give to the road running community is that they should continue to participate in road running events. Work together, but run your own race, reach for your personal goals, enjoy the company of all the other runners and encourage your family and friends to join in on the fun. I would like to thank the road running community for their involvement in the sport that we love. I had a fantastic time getting to know so many runners at the Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K and I cannot wait to do the same in Cape Town, Durban, Tshwane and Joburg. I invite all runners (elite and social) to join me.”

EVENT INFORMATION: 2023 Absa RUN YOUR CITY SERIES

1. Sunday 02 April 2023Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K
2. Sunday 14 May 2023Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K
3. Sunday 09 July 2023Absa RUN YOUR CITY DURBAN 10K
4. Sunday 27 August 2023Absa RUN YOUR CITY TSHWANE 10K
5. Sunday 24 September 2023Absa RUN YOUR CITY JOBURG 10K

Facebook: @Gqeberha10k / @CapeTown10k / @Durban10k / @Tshwane10k / @Joburg10k

Instagram: @Gqeberha10k / @CapeTown10k / @Durban10k / @Tshwane10k / @Joburg10k

Hashtag: #RunYourCity #AbsaRunYourCity

Websites: www.runyourcityseries.com

The post ASA Road Running Chair sets his sights on Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series appeared first on Western Province Athletics.

Continue reading...

Back