Mashele breaks SA 10km Record at Run Your City Gqeberha10K

A

Adnaan Mohamed

By Jacky McClean​

The inaugural Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQBERHA 10K that took place in ‘The Friendly City” today (Sunday 02 April 2023) could not have asked for a better debut as near perfect conditions greeted the 3000 plus runners, with the elites taking full advantage of the opportunity to run some spectacular times.​

2023-Absa-RUN-YOUR-CITY-GQEBERHA-10K-Start.jpg

2023 Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K Start

Kenya’s Daniel Ebenyo is making it a habit to win in the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series after consecutive wins in Cape Town in 2021 and 2022. True to form, the Kenyan opened a gap from the gun and was never headed. His aggressive front running style has seen him set some scintillating times in his career (26:58 PB) and today was no different. By 2km the Kenyan had dropped the rest of a very deep field that included the likes of Uganda’s Isaac Kibet (27:41 PB) and Kenya’s Asbel Rutto (27:55) as well as South Africa’s SA 10km and Half Marathon Record Holder, Stephen Mokoka and multiple SA 10km Champion, Precious Mashele.

The 5km came and went in 13:11 for an average speed of 2:39/km. That early pace cost him as he slowed down for an average 2:45/km in the second half. Nevertheless, that meant he had opened a gap of 20sec over the chasing duo of Precious Mashele and Thabang Mosiako who were having the run of their lives, going through halfway in 13:31 (average speed of 2:43/km).

Daniel-Ebenyo-by-Tobias-Ginsberg.jpg

Daniel Ebenyo by Tobias Ginsberg

Ebenyo was chasing the SA Allcomers Record of 27:16 run by Joshua Cheptegei in 2018 but had to settle for his best time on South African soil, crossing the line in 27:23.

“I’m not happy with my time. I wanted a Personal Best. But it is early in the year, so I still have some work to do,” said Ebenyo.

Behind him Precious Mashele was having the race of his life as he flew across the line in 27:35 to break the 8-year-old SA Record of Stephen Mokoka who ran 27:38 in 2015. Mashele dragged Thabang Mosiako to a massive personal best of 27:52, setting a new Eastern Province Record.

Mashele’s previous best time was 28:11 run in 2022, while Mosiako took a whopping 34sec off his previous best of 28:26.

“I knew I was in shape after the World Cross Country Championships (Mashele equalled his best performance by finishing 16th), so I wanted to chase the SA Record,” said Mashele. “I know I have gone to another level now, so I am excited about what is to come, especially in the rest of the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series in 2023”.

Mosiako broke the 24-year-old provincial record of Abner Chipu (28:13 – 1999) with his 27:52.

Mashele and Mosiako breaking 28minutes means that South Africa now boast four athletes who have dipped under the 28min mark in the last 8 year. Mashele, Mosiako and Maxime Chaumeton (27:58 – 2022 Absa RUN YOUR CITY DURBAN 10K) are part of a new generation who are taking the sport into a new era. They are also the only three who have run under 28min on South African soil, Mokoka having set the former SA Record in Manchester in 2015.

Diana Chesang who finished second at the Absa RUN YOUR CITY DURBAN 10K in 2022, running 31:55, was expected to dominate the women’s race, but a niggly knee meant she had to give way to the hard running Fridah Ndinda who set the pace from the front. Ndinda went through 5km in 15:09, with Bekelech Teku Wariyo (Ethiopia) and Docus Ajok (Uganda) crossing the halfway mark some 30sec later (15:39). Also in that group were South Africa’s Glenrose Xaba and Lesotho’s Neheng Khatala.

Ndinda’s early pace cost her in the second half as she was passed Bekelech Teku Wariyo in the final kilometer, the Ethiopian winning in 31:36 with Ndinda coming in second (31:41). Uganda’s Docus Ajok rounded out the podium (32:15).

Glenrose Xaba smashed her personal best by almost 30seconds as she settled for fourth, clocking 32:23 (previous PB 32:45).

Glenrose-Xaba-by-Rae-Trewbrowne-scaled.jpeg

Glenrose Xaba by Rae Trewbrowne

“I am so happy,” said Xaba. “I am back in 2018 shape now.” Xaba was unstoppable in South Africa in 2018. She battled with injury and form for a few years but has clearly shown she is back to her best.

“Well done to everyone who participated in the Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K and joined Team Absa Walk Run on Strava. A huge congratulations to all the winners. It was inspiring to see so many people come together to push themselves to achieve their goals,” said Sydney Mbhele, Absa’s Group Chief Marketing and Corporate Affairs Officer.

“I’d like to commend the community of Gqeberha for allowing us into their beautiful city. We believe in the power of a united community and what can be achieved when we are working towards a common goal. Their support and commitment is a true display of what our campaign, Together we can do more, Siyabangena stands for. Their determination and dedication to pushing the limits are truly inspiring.

Thank you to all the volunteers, partner sponsors and organisers who made this event possible. We can’t wait to come back next year.”

“Gqeberha residents had a firsthand experience today of how world class achievements and fun for all participants go hand in hand at the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series,” says Michael Meyer, Managing Director of Stillwater Sports and Founder of the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series. “

“Today we were treated to a fantastic start to the series,” says Michael Meyer, Managing Director of Stillwater Sports and Founder of the Absa RUN YOUR CITY Series. “Congratulations to Daniel Ebenyo and Bekelech Teku Wariyo for putting on world class performances. You have set the bar for the remaining four cities in the series. Thank you to each and every runner and walker, our sponsors and partners, Easter Province Athletics and Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, for the invaluable role that you played in hosting the inaugural Absa RUN YOUR CITY GQEBERHA 10K.

“We can’t wait to return to the friendly city, or to quote Bassie Kamana (Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality MMC: Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture), ‘The City of Action’ in 2024.”

The post Mashele breaks SA 10km Record at Run Your City Gqeberha10K appeared first on Western Province Athletics.

Continue reading...

Back